In April 2013 the Government announced new funding of £150 million for physical education (PE) and sport. This funding should be used to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision.
Funding will be allocated to all maintained and state-funded schools with primary phase pupils, including: primary, middle, special and non-maintained special schools, academies and pupil referred units from 1 September 2013. For the academic year 2016-17 the school received £8,365. In the academic year 2017/18 the school will receive £16,000.
Schools are free to determine how best to use this funding to improve the quality and breadth of the PE and sport provision, including increasing participation in PE and sport so that all pupils develop healthy lifestyles and reach the performance levels of which they are capable.
Examples of effective use of PE and sport funding at Isbourne Valley School.
- Provide staff training on how to teach PE well through employing specialist PE teachers or qualified coaches to work alongside teachers in lessons to increase their subject knowledge and confidence in PE via Cheltenham Sports Partnership
- Providing cover staff to release teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- Procuring quality-assured professional training for staff to raise their confidence and competence in teaching PE and sport
- Buying into existing local sports networks such as school sport partnerships or community sports coaching initiatives.
- Employing expert advice to evaluate the schools current strengths and weaknesses in PE and sport and implement plans for improvement.
- Providing places for pupils in after-school sports clubs and holiday courses.
- Engaging the least active pupils in after-school activities, for example ‘Change4Life’ after school clubs
- Forging links with PE teachers in local secondary schools to help primary staff improve their PE and sports provision
- Maintaining a house system to enable regular, inter-house sport for pupils of all ages
- Paying for transport, pool hire and instruction to provide additional swimming lessons for all pupils.
- Additional sports equipment.
- Provide additional sports equipment for youngsters to use at break and lunchtime.